Bakery owner found fatally beaten in Galveston
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- A well-liked business owner was beaten to death outside his Galveston bakery, possibly for his car, and police are searching for suspects.
His name was Juan Navarro and he would have turned 60 this year. Early Saturday morning, he was beaten for his car. A Galveston police patrolman found him unconscious in front of a store on Broadway at 38th Street.
"The officer got out and called it in and on further investigation revealed that his car had been stolen," said Galveston Police Chief Henry Potetto.
Navarro died Saturday night at a hospital from his injuries in what's believed to have been a carjacking. His vehicle was recovered Sunday just blocks from the bakery where he was attacked. Navarro was at the business, checking on some orders that were to go out that day. His family worried about the long hours he would put in.
"He was always here. He would never be at home. It was his bakery. He was taking care of business," said his nephew Juan Lopez.
Navarro Bakery was Juan Navarro's dream come true. He saved for years to build it and he was teaching his nephew how to run it.
"I'm just gonna do what he taught me; whatever he taught me and I wont forget, you know," said Lopez.
The bakery was open Monday. The cookies and sweetbreads fresh out of the ovens. While on the front door, a reminder that the man who created all this from hard work and a dream won't be coming back.
When we asked if the death hits pretty close to home, customer Roberto Garcia replied, "Yes ma'am, 'cause he was a good man, too."
Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to call Galveston police at 409-765-3770 or 409-765-3762.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
galveston, local, deborah wrigley
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents beaten to death 17 min ago
- Three charged over duct-taped kids at Buc-ees
- Jailer accused of sneaking smokes, snacks
- Former Houston cop facing drug charges 2 min ago
- Madison students on alert after reported abduction 29 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 'Felony Lane Gang' targeting women's purses
- Big reward for sex assault suspect who missed court date
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- YouTube turns 9 today!
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire