James Baker may head Houston's Super Bowl host committee in effort to land 2017 Super Bowl
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston may have a new ally in its bid for the Super Bowl.
Former Secretary of State James Baker is a close friend of Texans owner Bob McNair. Baker isn't confirming whether he's backing the bid but the team president says Baker would bring prestige to the host committee.
"He could actively champion Houston's cause," said Houston Texans President Jamey Rootes. "Someone of his stature would make a difference to the individuals in the room. Again, you try to put your best foot forward and certainly, that would be one great option to do that."
Houston is up against either San Francisco or Miami for Super Bowl LI in 2017. The owners are expected to vote on the site in May.
The committee will go to Boston in May to try to convince owners to award Houston Super Bowl LI in February 2017.
Reliant Stadium will get new HD video screen displays, part of an upgrade to make the stadium more attractive to host the Super Bowl.
Houston will compete with whatever city doesn't land the 50th anniversary Super Bowl the year before. San Francisco and Miami are fighting for that game.
The Bayou City last hosted a Super Bowl in 2004.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
reliant stadium, nfl, local
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area?
- Ike-damaged Galveston church gets facelift
49 min ago