Video released in string of convenience store robberies
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police believe the same gunman has robbed several convenience stores on the northwest side and they want to stop him before he hits another store, possibly with deadly consequences.
All of the robberies have happened in the area of Hammerly between Blalock and Bingle.
A store owner in one strip center told us they've been on edge because the armed robber targeting their stores continues to come back. Now police are hoping someone can help identify the thief.
Surveillance video shows the robber disguised in black with a bandana covering his face. On another day, police say the same thief in the same bandana hit a different store.
"The only thing he is saying is, 'Give me the money,'" said Sheila Spivey with the Houston Police Department.
Now detectives are calling the mysterious gunman a serial robber. They say he's caught on tape, time and time again, robbing stores on the northwest side.
"We are scared, you know," one store owner told us.
Workers at M&M Food Store on Hammerly told Eyewitness News they were too paranoid about the armed robber to show their faces on camera. But they say the guy's targeted this place several times since November.
"They're not robbing only stores, but they are robbing the people walking down the street," said the store owner.
Police say the same crook has hit a 99 Cents store nearby multiple times as well. The owner now keeps his door locked and screens each customer he allows in.
"They have come back twice in the store and the next door neighbor, he got robbed five times," the owner said.
Police say they don't have many leads on the suspect right now, but they're hoping the surveillance images are enough to help identify the thief.
"I believe he's 20 to 30 years of age, approximately 5 foot 5 to 5 foot 9, medium complexion," Spivey said.
The armed robber also wears a distinctive black jacket. Investigators say he's been seen wearing it in during some of the crimes.
"It says 'Angels Faces' and it has a picture of angel wings," said Spivey.
So far the man hasn't hurt anyone, but his victims and police say they want him stopped before he does.
Police say the string of robberies started in November and happened at the following locations:
- Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:50pm - M & M Food Mart - 8788 Hammerly
- Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:30pm - 99 and More Store - 8788 Hammerly#G
- Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:15pm - M & M Convenience Store - 8788 Hammerly
- Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:35pm - Blalock Food Mart - 3102 Blalock
- Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:05pm - Blalock Food Mart - 3102 Blalock
Anyone with information in these cases or on the identity of the wanted suspect is urged to contact the HPD Robbery Division at 713-308-0700 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, demond fernandez
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston 57 min ago
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day 37 min ago
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 40 min ago
- Ashby High Rise opponents dealt winning hand
- Man tries to trade gator for beer 48 min ago
- Half-ton chocolate Santa on display at Hilton Americas
- Guide dog saves blind man who fell on subway tracks 7 min ago