Harris County family turns Super Bowl party into annual food drive
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There were plenty of Super Bowl parties going on around town Sunday night. Friends and families gathered to root for their favorite team, check out the commercials and, of course, eat. But in northwest Harris County, one family has turned their annual Super Bowl party into a way to help those less fortunate.
At the Williams house, they really know how to put on a Super Bowl party.
"We've been doing the party for as long as we've lived in the house, which is 13 years," host Kathy Williams said.
There are hundreds of guests, lots of barbecue, tents, rented big screen TVs and even the swimming pool is covered to make more space.
But somewhere along the line, the party also turned into a charity event.
"About the last five years we started adding a food drive, and that's turned out to be kind of the emphasis of it now," host Dee Williams said.
Some of the guests, like Richard Mendez, have been coming for years.
"Maybe twelve years now," he said.
It's these guests who help the Williams family turn Super Bowl Sunday into food on the table for families in need. The food is donated to Northwest Assistance Ministries.
"One of the really cool things I think that they do is they always have us bring food so we can donate," Mendez said.
Other guests who brought a dish to pass at the party are helping the community, too.
"The bidding got tough and we kept raising it," partygoer Greg Sharpe said.
The cake he brought came from Saturday's Cy-Fair FFA auction.
"Spent $8,500 on a beautiful cake and we made up our minds once we bought it we were going to bring it to the Super Bowl party," Sharpe said.
The Williams family tells us friends and business associates start bringing over the food donations days in advance. With hundreds of guests bringing hundreds of pounds of food to donate to NAM, the hosts hope they'll top last year's donation of 3,800 pounds of food for needy families, no matter which team wins the Super Bowl.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, adela uchida
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co.
- Houston demolishes dozens of nuisance buildings
- DEA officer involved in shooting in Galleria area
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep
- Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool
- Man armed with knife robs Rosenberg bank
- Suspect dead, victim injured during shootout
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- NASA records powerful explosion on moon
- Star Trek shuttle craft to be displayed in Houston
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos