North Forest ISD to begin partnership talks with Texas A&M University
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- In an effort to keep its district from dissolving, North Forest Independent School District is about to begin talks with Texas A&M University in hopes the university will take over running certain aspects of the district.
In 2011, the Texas Education Agency ordered the district to shut down because of deep-rooted and far-reaching problems.
North Forest is fighting to stay open by making changes and suing the state.
Monday night, the school board voted in favor of beginning discussions with A&M for a partnership that it hopes will stabilize the education it offers students and keep the district up and running.
NFISD released the following statement Monday night:
The North Forest Independent School District Board of Trustees, in conjunction with the Commissioner of Education, tonight voted to begin engaging in strategic partnership discussions with Texas A&M University. This partnership, once finalized, will build on the improvements that the District has accomplished in the last 18 months. The North Forest Board and Superintendent have always been committed to safeguarding the welfare of North Forest students and are excited about the prospect of this innovative partnership.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 20 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 54 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife 24 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus 12 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 10 min ago
- Students prep for national robotics...
16 min ago