North Forest ISD to begin partnership talks with Texas A&M University
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- In an effort to keep its district from dissolving, North Forest Independent School District is about to begin talks with Texas A&M University in hopes the university will take over running certain aspects of the district.
In 2011, the Texas Education Agency ordered the district to shut down because of deep-rooted and far-reaching problems.
North Forest is fighting to stay open by making changes and suing the state.
Monday night, the school board voted in favor of beginning discussions with A&M for a partnership that it hopes will stabilize the education it offers students and keep the district up and running.
NFISD released the following statement Monday night:
The North Forest Independent School District Board of Trustees, in conjunction with the Commissioner of Education, tonight voted to begin engaging in strategic partnership discussions with Texas A&M University. This partnership, once finalized, will build on the improvements that the District has accomplished in the last 18 months. The North Forest Board and Superintendent have always been committed to safeguarding the welfare of North Forest students and are excited about the prospect of this innovative partnership.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston 6 min ago
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 10 min ago
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- Delivery man hides presents in trash...on trash day 3 min ago
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 46 min ago
- Ashby High Rise opponents dealt winning hand
- Man tries to trade gator for beer
- Half-ton chocolate Santa on display at Hilton Americas
- Guide dog saves blind man who fell on subway tracks 24 min ago
- Travis Herzog's Wednesday weather forecast
20 min ago