Alleged intruder in hospital after homeowner opens fire in north Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A suspect is in the hospital after police say a homeowner shot him when he found him in the back of his truck last night in northwest Houston.
It happened at around 10pm on East Janisch near Werner. Investigators say the homeowner was in his back yard when he heard noise coming from his pickup truck. That's when he confronted the suspect.
"In the process of the suspect trying to either evade capture or run around the truck, the complainant, believing that the suspect might be armed, fired two shots, striking the suspect," said Sgt. R. Musick with the Houston Police Department.
The suspect, Kenneth Wayne Shepherd, is facing a felony charge of attempted burglary of a habitation. He is still in the hospital recovering from bullet wounds to his arm and leg.
Police say the homeowner will likely not face charges, but the case will be referred to the District Attorney's office.
Court records show Shepherd, 39, has a long criminal record, including a murder conviction in which he was sentenced to 25 years back in 2002.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Two people found shot inside SW Houston home 9 min ago
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch 11 min ago
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Beyonce's holiday surprise 45 min ago
- Coloring book featuring Ted Cruz selling fast 53 min ago
- Multiple people stabbed after Denver football game
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin inks extension