Two local communities rank among nation's safest
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Congressional Quarterly just released its annual safest cities list and two of the top 50 are right here in our area.
Sugar Land and Pearland both were named as two of the safest cities to live in. Allen, Frisco, and Round Rock were other Texas cities in the top 50.
When you look at just large cities, meaning places with 500,000 or more people, three Texas cities made the cut. El Paso was named the safest large city in America. Austin was fourth and San Antonio was tenth.
Flip the table and it's bad news for Houston. The Bayou City was ranked tenth when it came to the highest crime rate in the United States. Houston led the nation in the number of burglaries in 2011.
However, Houston's still a lot safer than a few other big cities. Detroit was number one when it came to crime, followed by Baltimore, Memphis, Philly, and Washington DC.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
sugar land, pearland, local
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area?
- Age, injury not stopping this softball player
28 min ago
- Ike-damaged Galveston church gets facelift
11 min ago