Two local communities rank among nation's safest
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Congressional Quarterly just released its annual safest cities list and two of the top 50 are right here in our area.
Sugar Land and Pearland both were named as two of the safest cities to live in. Allen, Frisco, and Round Rock were other Texas cities in the top 50.
When you look at just large cities, meaning places with 500,000 or more people, three Texas cities made the cut. El Paso was named the safest large city in America. Austin was fourth and San Antonio was tenth.
Flip the table and it's bad news for Houston. The Bayou City was ranked tenth when it came to the highest crime rate in the United States. Houston led the nation in the number of burglaries in 2011.
However, Houston's still a lot safer than a few other big cities. Detroit was number one when it came to crime, followed by Baltimore, Memphis, Philly, and Washington DC.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
sugar land, pearland, local
- Child killed by falling tree branch 9 min ago
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle
- 3 shoplifting suspects nabbed after hour-long chase
- HISD school principal accused of shoplifting
- Man found dead at home in Fort Bend County
- TV co-host dies in motorcycle crash 6 min ago
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash 46 min ago
- Texans can still make the playoffs if...
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover 27 min ago
- Woman warning others after car sale goes awry
- When fictional sex is bad, really bad
- Last day of warm before the temperatures drop
- Mom, 17, fatally stabbed while holding baby
- Legal questions answered by People's Lawyer
53 min ago