Two local communities rank among nation's safest
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Congressional Quarterly just released its annual safest cities list and two of the top 50 are right here in our area.
Sugar Land and Pearland both were named as two of the safest cities to live in. Allen, Frisco, and Round Rock were other Texas cities in the top 50.
When you look at just large cities, meaning places with 500,000 or more people, three Texas cities made the cut. El Paso was named the safest large city in America. Austin was fourth and San Antonio was tenth.
Flip the table and it's bad news for Houston. The Bayou City was ranked tenth when it came to the highest crime rate in the United States. Houston led the nation in the number of burglaries in 2011.
However, Houston's still a lot safer than a few other big cities. Detroit was number one when it came to crime, followed by Baltimore, Memphis, Philly, and Washington DC.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
sugar land, pearland, local
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- David Tillman's weather forecast
42 min ago