Spring neighborhood concerned about proposed low-income housing project
SPRING, TX (KTRK) -- A proposal is in the works to build two different low-income housing complexes in northwest Harris County, but neighbors worry the project isn't right for their community.
The planned complexes are located Cypresswood Drive near Interstate 45 and at Kuykendahl and Louetta.
Those who live in this quiet Spring neighborhood say they take crime seriously. You can see that in a sign -- "Neighbors Against Crime -- posted out front.
"It's a very nice, quiet area, and I see it slowly getting worse," neighbor Teresa Chapfield said.
People who live here are concerned about proposals to build two low-income housing developments. If they're approved, the apartments would be partially funded by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs.
Developers could break ground early next year. If all goes according to the developers plan, there would be 160 units -- 130 for low-income residents.
Low-income, according to the state, means a four-person household earning less than about $40,000 a year.
We reached Dallas-based development company Palladium USA on the phone Tuesday.
"What do you have to say to residents who already live in this area who worry about increased crime rates and lowered property values due to these proposed developments?" we asked.
"Well, when people think of affordable housing, they automatically think of the slums and Section 8 housing, and this is not," Dru Childre with Palladium USA told us. "They do a full, extensive background check and employment check and income verifications on all our residents."
But some neighbors are still writing letters to their state representative, trying to stop the complexes from coming.
"These people need somewhere to go. I understand that," nearby resident Curtis Jones said. "But not in our back yard or front yard. We've got places that could be set up for that nature."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW 13 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date? 8 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'