Charges dropped against tutor accused of having loaded gun on campus
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Charges have been dropped against a middle school tutor who was arrested last week for having a loaded gun on campus.
The Harris County District Attorney's Office confirms that the possession of a prohibited weapon charge against Charetta Trishaye Kemp has been dropped. Kemp, 28, was a tutor at Fondren Middle School.
Court documents had previously alleged that on February 1, Kemp parked her vehicle on campus with a loaded 9mm inside. Court records stated that the gun belonged to another employee.
Authorities said Kemp's co-worker put the gun in her car the night before, but when he tried to get it back she wouldn't give it to him. HISD said a tip led to her arrest the same day.
Kemp had been a tutor at Fondren Middle School since August 2011. She was originally hired as a math tutor, but until Friday was most recently helping students with science.
HISD said Kemp had resigned in lieu of termination, but there is no word if she will return to the school or be reinstated.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston 21 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls 31 min ago
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage 39 min ago
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 5 min ago
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
49 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
30 min ago