Lockdown lifted at Columbus High School after report of suspicious person seen on campus
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Colorado County high school was placed on lockdown late Wednesday morning after a report of a suspicious person on campus.
Columbus ISD Superintendent Robert O'Conner says an unknown person had been spotted the past couple of days in the area and that Columbus High School surveillance system spotted the person walking through a back door of the high school at around 10:30am Wednesday.
Around the same time a school staffer saw the stranger, and attempted to question the person, but the person seemed to be disoriented, didn't answer any questions and kept on walking. School officials cannot say whether the person was a man or woman.
Law enforcement was then called out and the high school, the nearby middle school and the nearby elementary school were all put on lockdown as a precaution.
The high school was searched, then the students were sent to the cafeteria and the rooms were searched again.
A short time later, O'Conner says another surveillance camera caught the person walking back out of the high school through a different back door.
After the search didn't turn up anything, the lockdown of the schools was lifted.
O'Conner says the person didn't appear to be armed, and was wearing a scarf, or some kind of covering over their head with warmup pants and a skirt with fringe on the bottom.
Law enforcement officials will be at the schools on Thursday in case the person shows up again.
Columbus is about 70 miles west of Houston.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 7 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie 45 min ago
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school
- 'We are burying a body,' suspects tell police
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin 15 min ago
- Information on price tags decoded
- Sunday's mutton bustin' at RodeoHouston
18 min ago