Former Houston hand surgeon accused of choking flight attendant
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A former Houston hand surgeon is accused of choking a flight attendant during an international flight last month.
According to court documents, on January 2, Dr. Michael Brown was a passenger on a British Airways flight from London, England, to Miami, Florida, when he entered the plane's forward galley and demanded his meal and wine. A flight attendant escorted Brown back to his seat.
A different flight attendant then approached Brown when, court documents state, Brown grabbed her forearm, pulled her toward him and started making rude sexual comments, before releasing her.
When that same attendant returned to serve Brown his meal, she told air marshals that Brown stood up, spilling his meal, and grabbed her around the neck with both hands. She says he asked her if she's a strong woman while he squeezed her neck.
Another flight attendant came to assist her when Brown released the first flight attendant, court records state, then grabbed both of them around the neck area using his forearms, telling them he was going to get naked in front of the passengers. Brown then allegedly made rude sexual comments about both flight attendants.
According to court documents, the flight crew was able to calm Brown down and he slept for most of the remainder of the flight.
Brown was arrested for interfering with a flight crew once the flight landed in Miami.
Court records state Brown told law enforcement he did not remember the incident on the flight and that he is a "touchy feely" person, not violent, and that he may have touched a flight attendant, but not in a violent or inappropriate way.
Late Wednesday, Brown's attorney, Ron Hantman, issued a statement that, in part, says:
"Brown is taking Restoril for insomnia and had a negative reaction with alcohol which made Brown sleepwalk on the plane. A person would not do this on a plane unless they were under some medication. Brown is under tremendous stress, anxiety, and anguish over not being able to see his children."
This is not Brown's first brush with the law. Back in 2011, he went to trial, accused of beating his then-wife Rachel Brown. He was found not guilty.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus 31 min ago
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch 15 min ago
- Beyonce's holiday surprise
- McDonald's employee injured during attempted robbery
- Free Stuff Friday: Holiday happenings this weekend 55 min ago
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Coloring book featuring Ted Cruz selling fast
- Multiple people stabbed after Denver football game
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class