Houston public library hours to be restored
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- You may not be able to get mail on Saturday soon, but you will be able to go to the library in Houston.
Two years ago, hours at the Houston public Libraries were cut as an way for the city to save money in the national recession. On Wednesday, Mayor Annise Parker announced those hours will be restored.
Several neighborhood libraries will be open on Saturdays and the Central Library in downtown Houston will now be open seven days a week.
Mayor Parker says the library has been missed by both adults and children in the community.
"It is the one piece that I have heard from every district council member and a number of citizens that they missed the service and they want the service back," she said.
Additionally, Houston libraries plan to hire 109 new part-time and full-time employees. The first wave of postings for these positions were added to the City of Houston website Wednesday.
Locations that will have restored Saturday hours are:
- Carnegie Neighborhood Library
- HPL Express Southwest
- Lakewood Neighborhood Library
- Looscan Neighborhood Library
- Mancuso Neighborhood Library
- Moody Neighborhood Library
- Morris Frank Library, a HPL Express Location
- Pleasantville Neighborhood Library
- Ring Neighborhood Library
- Robinson-Westchase Neighborhood Library
- Shepard-Acres Homes Neighborhood Library
- Smith Neighborhood Library
- Stanaker Neighborhood Library
- Stimley-Blue Ridge Neighborhood Library
The restoration of service hours will take place in phases beginning April 1.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston 1 min ago
- Person of interest located in death of mail carrier
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co.
- Local Marine killed in duty honored for bravery 34 min ago
- Tornadoes strike Kansas, Oklahoma 7 min ago
- Driver killed when SUV goes airborne 53 min ago
- Winner crowned at Gyro Eating Championship 57 min ago
- Volunteer firefighters save man from burning home
- Man found fatally shot at Motel 6 in east Houston
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos