Officer fired shots at suspect's vehicle during wild police chase
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A police chase ended in the Spring Branch area with two suspects in custody. Those suspects apparently hit at least one vehicle in their attempt to get away from police.
The truck that was involved in this chase wound up with several bullet holes in it. Police say things got so tense at one point that an officer was forced to shoot at the truck.
According to police, two people were in that truck Friday morning when Houston police tried to pull over the driver for speeding on Westheimer. That's when we're told the man and the woman in the truck drove off.
They drove through Memorial Village, where Houston police say Memorial Village officers tried to make the truck pull over. We're told the driver of the truck then tried to run over at least one Memorial Village officer. In response, that officer shot at the truck several times.
Police say the driver kept going, at one point losing a tire, but the truck kept going, possibly even hitting a passerby, as several police officers continued the chase.
The driver finally crashed the truck into a pole. The suspects ran down an alleyway, but police caught up with them shortly after.
One bystander says the truck sideswiped his car.
"He came flying by. He must have been going about 120 miles per hour and he sideswiped me," said driver Nathan Sprague. "Sparks were flying, his tire was blown out. It was scary. If it wasn't for the sirens, I would have pulled out and he would've killed me."
Police are continuing to investigate. They don't know why the pair in the truck ran from police, since they were originally only being pulled over for a speeding traffic offense.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case 49 min ago
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths 15 min ago
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options 9 min ago
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez 50 min ago
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old 58 min ago
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight 39 min ago
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be? 7 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
24 min ago