Suicide inside Conroe Walmart prompts store closure
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- A man has shot and killed himself inside a Walmart in Conroe.
It happened just before 4:30pm at the Walmart on North Loop 336.
Police say a 35-year-old man entered the store, walked to the pharmacy area and sat down on the bench. Shortly after, he pulled a semi-automatic gun from his wastband and shot himself.
Witnesses say there was no time for anyone to intervene before he pulled the trigger. A police officer tried to perform CPR on the man but he died at the scene.
No one else was hurt.
Police say the man reportedly had marital problems and his wife worked at the store and was present at the time of the shooting.
We're told the man is an Texas Department of Criminal Justice employee but his duties do not include carrying a weapon.
Customers were evacuated and the store is closed while Conroe police continue their investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Parents distracted by devices, study says