Suspected burglar injured after falling into bayou while trying to escape
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities say neighbors caught a couple of thieves in the act of trying to break into a pickup truck. One of them took a nasty fall while trying to escape.
It happened just before 1am in a neighborhood off Westmont near Candlewick in east Houston.
Police say witnesses spotted two male suspects park a minivan, then try to break into a Dodge pickup. That eyewitness chased the suspects and caught one of them. But that witness reportedly was punched in the head, which allowed the suspect to get loose and run behind a house, which is where he fell down the embankment of the bayou.
A Houston Fire Department ladder truck came to the suspect's rescue. It took them 30 minutes to get him to safety.
It turns out that suspect is just 15 years old. He was taken to a hospital, but is expected to be just fine. He faces assault charges for attacking the eyewitness.
His accomplice ran off as all of this was happening. He is still at large. Police seized the minivan after discovering it was stolen.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years
- Things you didn't know about reindeer