Father charged with killing driver who killed his sons
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- A father who lost his two young sons in a traffic accident has now been charged with killing the driver responsible.
On December 7, 2012, at about 11:30pm, David Barajas was traveling on County Road 144 in Brazoria County with his family when their truck broke down. Barajas and his two sons, David, 12, and Caleb, 11, were pushing the truck when a car rear-ended their vehicle.
One boy died at the scene, and the other was flown to a hospital in the medical center, where he was pronounced dead. Barajas suffered non life threatening injuries.
Jose Banda, the driver of the car which crashed into the family's pickup truck, was shot once in the head and was also flown to the medical center, where he later died of his injuries. Banda, 20, was determined to be intoxicated at the time of the crash, with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.175, according to the Brazoria County Sheriff's Department.
Officials say witnesses saw Barajas walking away from the scene of the accident and towards his nearby home, shortly after the crash. Those witnesses also reported David Barajas return to the scene and approach Banda's car when the gunshots were fired.
Investigators say they found a handgun holster and ammunition inside the Barajas home, no firearms were found.
Barajas, 31, has been charged with murder in the death of Jose Banda. He was arrested and processed through the Brazoria County Detention Center on $450,000 bond.
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale