Woman ambushed, shot outside NW Harris Co. gym
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman's trip to the gym nearly turned deadly after being shot during a violent robbery.
It happened around 9pm Wednesday in a parking lot at FM 1960 at Stuebner Airline. That purse thief is still on the run.
Emily Ng only works out during the day, on her lunch break. She feels safer that way, especially after hearing what happened at her gym Wednesday night.
"I just watch out a little bit more," she said.
According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, a man and a woman pulled up to the parking lot and saw a 44-year-old woman walking to her car and holding a gym bag.
"A male approched her, snatched her purse and then shot her in the side," a sheriff's office spokesperson said.
Investigators say the man shot her in the upper body when she didn't immediately hand over the bag. Soon after she was shot, those in the gym parking lot covered her with blankets and called 911.
"We turned around and we just heard shots fired. A couple of shots fired and we turn around and it just sped off," witness Chris Leeton said.
The woman was taken to Ben Taub General Hospital in stable condition. She is expected to recover.
"Recent update is she's got a punctured lung," the sheriff's office spokesperson said.
The suspects got away and are still on the run. That's a scary thought for members at that gym.
"I talked to the people inside here at 24 Hour Fitness," Ng said. "I even asked if there's anytime that staff could walk me out to my car. They'd be happy to."
Officials with 24 Hour Fitness declined to comment on this story.
The robbers got away in a white or silver four-door sedan.
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for any information called in to the 713-222-TIPS (8477) or submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org that leads to the filing of felony charges or arrest of the suspect(s) in this case. Tips can also be sent by text message. Text TIP610 plus your tip to CRIMES (274637). All tipsters remain anonymous.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies 13 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 14 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game