Project planned to transform NE Houston park
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An area park is about to get a makeover and community leaders are hoping for a much larger transformation.
There's a lot of money going into transforming Shady Lane Park in northeast Houston. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, but the city says it's about more than drastically changing the face of this park. This project is about changing lives.
The nearly two decade old playground equipment at Shady Lane Park tells part of its story -- the swings worn, the slide tagged, and nearby a weathered picnic table. But despite all that, this is the beloved neighborhood park.
"I've been in this neighborhood for 20 years already," said park visitor Yuri Esquivel. "Ever since I lived here, this is the park I've been coming to. Now that I have my kids, I bring them to this park also."
For parents, it's convenient and in some ways comforting.
"It's great for the community, because instead of all the kids being out there doing what they are not supposed to, they'll have a safe place to be," said park visitor Celia Palacios.
Soon they'll have even more as the old Shady Lane Park is set to be transformed. The Houston Parks and Recreation department, with the help of the Texas Parks and Wildlife department, is putting nearly half a million dollars into redeveloping this 12.4 acre family park. It will mean new equipment, more green space and a lesson in conservation.
"This is going to be an amazing park for this community and they deserve a park like this to be built," said Joe Turner, Houston Parks and Recreation director. "Our kids are our future and we need to give our kids and opportunity to enjoy nature, be healthy and to be the next leaders of our community."
The park is set to be completed in early October.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, samica knight
- weather: Rain falling across our area 56 min ago
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 36 min ago
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston
- Search continues for clues in women's murders