Gang of burglars attack security guard during heist
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A security guard was attacked by a gang of suspected burglars during a heist in north Harris County. It happened at I-45 near Richey Tuesday night and business owners in the area say it's a continuing problem.
Four suspects are charged with aggravated robbery after a group of seven suspected burglars was caught on camera, trying to hack into the Houston Cash and Carry wholesale store in north Harris County. Owner Dheeraj Raheja says they are members of a group that has struck his store five times as recently as just 10 days ago.
"One or two guys, they have the same outfit in the last four or five burglaries," he said. "The style is the same. They have the same ax. Actually, they know my place."
During two break-ins Raheja says the crooks stole tens of thousands of dollars' worth of tobacco. The owner watched the men on surveillance video early Wednesday morning and called 911. Deputies arrived to find the robbery in progress. They made three arrests and helped the property's security guard, who'd been duct-taped and robbed.
"These guys are not scared of a surveillance system or cameras or alarm systems, even cops," Raheja said.
One of the suspects took off in a white car, leading deputies and HPD officers on a chase that ended at Loop 610 at Clinton. That's where officers arrested Vashaun Baker. There are still three other suspects who got away.
Raheja says he's relieved to have at least some of the men in custody.
He said, "I hope they know each other very well, so maybe they can open up their mouth with the names and everything."
The security guard is expected to OK. He was taken to a hospital to be checked out as a precaution.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, katie mccall
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home