Sleeping burglar found in north Houston home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The search is on for a burglar who hit three homes in north Houston, treating one of them like a hotel. He helped himself to something to eat and then took a nap.
Police say the burglar was scared off by a woman who came home while he was apparently napping inside her house.
Police are urging homeowners in the immediate area around Fulton and Dippings to be on high alert. Officers say they have a burglary suspect apparently roaming the neighborhood, looking for any opportunity to break into homes -- an open window, an unlocked door.
By early Tuesday morning, he had already hit three homes. At the second house the suspect decided to take a load off. He took off his boots and made himself at home. He ate a snack and even laid down to take a nap in a child's bedroom!
When the homeowner came home to find that stranger in her son's bed, she panicked, and then called 911. In the meantime, the suspect made his way to a third house where, to his surprise, the owner was home and came face to face with him.
"I didn't say anything to him. I just started shooting at him," said Benny Demarco. "We'd already talked all we was gonna talk in the garage, when he told me he didn't want me to shoot him."
Demarco fired gun three times. Police say they don't think the suspect was hit. He took off on foot and is still at large. There's no clear description of the suspect available, but police caution residents in the area to be on the lookout.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale 41 min ago
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Push-up jeans promise bigger booty 25 min ago
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos