Two suspected burglars die in crash after being followed by homeowner
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two car burglary suspects were killed in a car crash in northwest Harris County overnight. Sheriff's deputies have released new information on how it all unfolded.
Traffic at Bammel North Houston and Beltway 8 feeder road was tied up for hours Thursday morning as deputies investigated the crash. When it was all said and done, two men were dead and a third person in the hospital.
Sheriff's deputies got the call around 3:30am. A two-car collision involving two burglary suspects in a white car and a green pickup.
"The passenger of the Toyota is deceased on the scene. The driver was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead, also," said Sgt. Susan Cotter with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
According to sheriff's deputies, it all started when a homeowner spotted two men trying to break into his car in a neighborhood near West Richey and Bammel North Houston. The suspects hopped in their car and took off, and the homeowner followed them in his vehicle.
"They came to the intersection of the Beltway, disregarded the red light on the westbound side and also disregarded the red light on the east bound side," Sgt. Cotter said.
The homeowner hit the brakes, then watched the pickup plow into the car. Sheriff's deputies closed down the intersection at Bammel and the Beltway for hours while they processed the crash scene. Once the sun came up, Danny Zavala and his family came to see if his brother was involved.
"We woke up and I heard that my cousin had died in the hospital. And I saw the news and I saw his car on there. And my little brother's not home, he's not answering," said Zavala.
Officers escorted a family member over for a closer look. The news was not good.
The driver of the pickup was taken to the hospital, but is expected to recover.
As for the homeowner who chased the suspects, deputies say he will not be facing criminal charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course