Hope for Rorie: Clear Lake girl, 3, needs a hero
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A three-year-old girl's family has been searching for a bone marrow donor for months to no avail, and they need your help.
Rorie is from Clear Lake. She's bright-eyed with blonde hair and a bubbly personality, and she's tough.
Rorie has hypodiploidy acute lymphoblastic leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the white blood cells. She is in desperate need of a life-saving bone marrow transplant, but her family and doctors are having no luck finding a match.
"She's a very sweet and loving little girl," family friend Nicole Krampota said. "And she needs a hero, as soon as possible."
Rorie's family is putting together two donor drives this weekend. The public is invited to attend and sign up to join the National Bone Marrow Registry. You could be a match for little Rorie or another patient in need.
The first drive is 9am to noon Saturday at E.A. Smith Family YMCA, located at 14650 Highway 3 in Webster. The second is 2-4pm Saturday at Cypress Creek Fire Station 24 on FM 1960 at Perry Road.
Registering as a bone marrow donor is quick and painless, requiring only a cheek swab. Then, if you are someone's life-saving match, donating could be as easy as giving blood.
Rorie's family and friends are down to the wire. Her survival rate is 5 to 20 percent. Donor drives have been held nationwide for the girl, but her perfect match is still out there somewhere.
"Rorie is wonderful. Her attitude in the middle of all of this is wonderful," her mother, Savannah Joslin, said. "Her spirit and laughter is what's keeping my family going."
For more information about the donation process, visit www.BeTheMatch.org. You can also register online at their website.
For more information about Rorie and her journey, visit her Facebook page.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
clear lake, local
- Search in OK nears completion; tornado was EF5 17 min ago
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017 11 min ago
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Watching line of storms to our north
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles 4 min ago
- Do you know all the apps your kids are using? 11 min ago
- 2nd suspect in Alief murders surrenders
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium diversion case
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned 12 min ago
- Microsoft's Xbox One to go on sale late 2013
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos