Settlement reached in lawsuit over girl's carnival ride fall
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The company that runs the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo's carnival has reached a settlement with the family of a girl who flew off a ride last year.
Last March, Kalyn Pennygraph, who was three years old, was riding the Techno Jump with her 8-year-old brother when she slipped out of the ride and fell six to eight feet to the ground. An ABC13 viewer caught the fall on video.
Pennygraph's mother says she suffered some cuts and a concussion, but is doing fine. The carnival operator, Ray Cammack Shows, says the girl was allowed on because she met the height requirements.
In November, Pennygraph's mother sued for compensation for medical bills and mental anguish. In the settlement reached this week, the Pennygraph family will get nearly $80,000.
Now because of this accident, the carnival changed the rules of 16 of its rides.
Children must now be accompanied by someone at least 16 years old. And last year was the first year anyone who bought carnival tickets received a safety brochure. The procedure was put into place after a man died while riding a roller coaster.
We spoke with rodeo organizers Wednesday, they say they haven't had their annual safety meeting with the carnival company yet, but all safety procedures from last will be in place this year.
And there's a chance new rules will be announced after that safety meeting. Of course, we are in constant contact with those decision makers and will have updates as we get them.
houston livestock show and rodeo, reliant stadium, local, ilona carson
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 16 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party 26 min ago
- Two of 3 suspected burglars caught in the act 7 min ago
- Exxon Mobil building evacuated due to fire on roof 22 min ago
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating 35 min ago
- Girl's mom applauds suspension of kissing 6-year-old
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- David Tillman's Thursday weather forecast
18 min ago