Deputy fatally shoots suspect at gas station
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A suspect has been fatally shot by a Precinct 3 deputy constable in east Harris County following a high-speed chase and search.
At about 5am, deputies reportedly tried to pull over a driver for speeding on the Beltway, but that driver fled the scene. He later crashed his vehicle and ran off on foot.
Deputies later found a gun holster in that vehicle. They started a door to door search at area businesses, trying to find the suspect.
A sergeant then found the man at Sunrise Super Shop gas station on Sheldon at Market Street.
"He asked him, have you seen anybody matching this description? The security guard said, yeah, I believe he's inside. They walked inside, asked the clerk. The clerk says, yeah, he's in the back. He said he was cold so I let him go lay down in the back," explained Captain John Moore with the Harris County Precinct 3 Constable's Office.
According to officials at the scene, the sergeant then approached the suspect, who reportedly lunged at him in an aggressive manner, and the sergeant shot the man once in the chest, killing him.
Neither man has been identified. We are told the sergeant has been on the force for at least 10 years. The sergeant was not injured.
Authorities say the investigation is ongoing.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat