HPD: Man tried to run over officers with vehicle, police open fire
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man was arrested overnight, accused of leading Houston police on a chase and then allegedly trying to hit two officers with his vehicle.
The two officers discharged their weapons at the suspect on Washington at Houston Avenue near downtown, but did not strike him.
Investigators said it all started outside Laurenzo's Restaurant on Washington Avenue when the suspect had an argument with valet employees. The suspect is accused of revving his engine in an effort to intimidate them.
Valet employees called police. Officers arrived and they tried to talk to the suspect, but he drove away, heading east on Washington.
A chase ensued, but the suspect reportedly lost control of his vehicle and ended up driving in the direction of the officers.
Investigators said the officers got out of their vehicles to take cover. The suspect allegedly accelerated his vehicle in the direction of the officers, prompting them to fire, but miss.
The suspect is also accused of putting his car in reverse, to allegedly get away from the scene.
He ended up crashing into two different patrol units, police said.
We're told a METRO police officer who was at the scene used a Taser to subdue the suspect before he was taken into custody.
No one was hurt in the incident, officials said.
The suspect could face charges of aggravated assault on a police officer.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- New details in case of women found dead by dumpster 6 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou 44 min ago
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana 21 min ago
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California 28 min ago
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game 37 min ago
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store