HPD: Man tried to run over officers with vehicle, police open fire
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man was arrested overnight, accused of leading Houston police on a chase and then allegedly trying to hit two officers with his vehicle.
The two officers discharged their weapons at the suspect on Washington at Houston Avenue near downtown, but did not strike him.
Investigators said it all started outside Laurenzo's Restaurant on Washington Avenue when the suspect had an argument with valet employees. The suspect is accused of revving his engine in an effort to intimidate them.
Valet employees called police. Officers arrived and they tried to talk to the suspect, but he drove away, heading east on Washington.
A chase ensued, but the suspect reportedly lost control of his vehicle and ended up driving in the direction of the officers.
Investigators said the officers got out of their vehicles to take cover. The suspect allegedly accelerated his vehicle in the direction of the officers, prompting them to fire, but miss.
The suspect is also accused of putting his car in reverse, to allegedly get away from the scene.
He ended up crashing into two different patrol units, police said.
We're told a METRO police officer who was at the scene used a Taser to subdue the suspect before he was taken into custody.
No one was hurt in the incident, officials said.
The suspect could face charges of aggravated assault on a police officer.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years
- Things you didn't know about reindeer