Young father dead after gunfight in north Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say two men opened fire on each other last night at a north Houston apartment complex. One of them is now dead and the other on the run.
It happened around 9:30pm at the Fall Lake apartments on Greens Parkway near Fall Lake. When officers responded, they found the victim dead in the courtyard between the parking lot and apartment units. His identity hasn't been released, but police say he was only 21 years old. Neighbors say he was a husband and father.
"You heard a whole lot of gunshots and you'd seen a young fella on the ground," said neighbor TJ Jackson.
Witnesses tell police they saw the victim walking from his apartment to the parking lot. He and another man exchanged words, then both drew weapons and shot at one another.
Witnesses say in all they heard between 10 and 20 shots fired. But police never recovered a gun from the dead man's body.
"We have not found one yet. It did rain here," said Officer Roy Swainson with the Houston Police Department homicide division. "There were other people out here. But we haven't established that yet."
Neighbors say the victim's pregnant wife was rushed to the hospital when she came outside to see him dead on the ground.
"The wife came over and saw him and she couldn't take it and they took her in an ambulance," said eyewitness Mona Gross.
While police latch on to any leads, including evidence recovered at the scene and the possibility of a video, those living nearby wonder what caused the vicious killing and how the children will make do without their father.
"Horrible knowing that kids lost their father," said resident Taneika Liles. "I wouldn't wish that on anybody, to lose a parent."
As authorities search for the suspect, they're also trying to determine a motive. Police say the killer fled the scene in a small gray car.
If you have any information in this case, you're being asked to call the Houston Police Departmen homicide division or Crime Stoppers.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 2013 College bowl schedule
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush
- No more ice, but cold weather continues