Trail riders, parade and BBQ: It must be Rodeo time!
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo officially kicked off Tuesday.
Houston Mayor Annise Parker issued a proclamation Tuesday marking February 22 as Go Texan Day and praised the annual parade and what it means for the Bayou City.
"The HLSR is not just a fun few weeks in the spring, it is about Houston; it is the heart and soul of Houston," said Mayor Parker.
Tuesday's event jump started the Rodeo and included details on the rodeo parade's new route. This year, the parade will start in front of City Hall on Walker and Bagby.
Meanwhile, thousands of trail riders will continue their 120-mile journey to Memorial Park. They will arrive on Friday, just one day before they all participate in Saturday's Rodeo parade.
If you can't make it to the parade, ABC13 is the only station where you can watch it live. Our live coverage begins Saturday at 10am.
And the grills and smokers will start filling up Reliant Park this week. It lasts for three days, starting this Thursday and ending Saturday.
Get a complete guide to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo on abc13.com.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston livestock show and rodeo, local
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston 21 min ago
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Cold, damp weather to continue 18 min ago
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 58 min ago
- Ice to linger over much of Texas
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats