Closures coming for two Galleria area bridges
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Get ready for a couple of lane closures on bridges in the Galleria area as the Harris County Flood Control District continues to work on a new drainage channel.
The closures are scheduled for the Westheimer and San Felipe bridges over the drainage channel inside the 610 West Loop. They're being closed so that the 50-year-old bridges can be demolished and replaced to accommodate new reinforced concrete box culverts.
The Westheimer Road closure will begin next month. Traffic on the bridge will be down to one lane in each direction for a month. Work on the San Felipe bridge will begin in the summer of 2013. In that closure, all lanes will be closed for up to two weeks.
Depending on weather conditions, those closures could last longer than scheduled.
Drivers are encouraged to avoid the area or to look for signs leading them to detours.
The drainage channel runs adjacent to the Union Pacific Railroad tracks. For more information on the closures, check the Harris County Flood Control District at www.hcfcd.org/W129 or call the Flood Control District's Project and Study Information Line at 713-684-4040.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail