Closures coming for two Galleria area bridges
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Get ready for a couple of lane closures on bridges in the Galleria area as the Harris County Flood Control District continues to work on a new drainage channel.
The closures are scheduled for the Westheimer and San Felipe bridges over the drainage channel inside the 610 West Loop. They're being closed so that the 50-year-old bridges can be demolished and replaced to accommodate new reinforced concrete box culverts.
The Westheimer Road closure will begin next month. Traffic on the bridge will be down to one lane in each direction for a month. Work on the San Felipe bridge will begin in the summer of 2013. In that closure, all lanes will be closed for up to two weeks.
Depending on weather conditions, those closures could last longer than scheduled.
Drivers are encouraged to avoid the area or to look for signs leading them to detours.
The drainage channel runs adjacent to the Union Pacific Railroad tracks. For more information on the closures, check the Harris County Flood Control District at www.hcfcd.org/W129 or call the Flood Control District's Project and Study Information Line at 713-684-4040.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl 8 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town 44 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston 20 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians