Former Harris County Attorney Mike Driscoll dies
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Former Harris County Attorney Mike Driscoll passed away Tuesday. He was 66 years old.
Driscoll, who left office in 1996 due to complications from Parkinson's disease, reportedly died in his sleep in Houston. Driscoll served as Harris County Attorney from 1981 until 1996.
During his tenure as county attorney, Driscoll helped establish the largest civil legal unit in the state of Texas to protect families and children.
Current Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan served as Driscoll's first assistant for years. On Driscoll's birthday in 2010, Ryan named the courtroom in the County Attorney's office for Driscoll.
"Mike Driscoll set the bar for public service," said Ryan. "His legacy is the integrity he brought to Harris County government."
Driscoll was born in Houston in 1946. He earned both his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Houston. He was active in Democratic party politics for years.
A memorial service will be held next Wednesday at 4pm at St. Paul's United Methodist Church at 5501 S. Main.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston 21 min ago
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers