Newborn girl found in plastic bag -- alive
CYPRESS, TX (KTRK) -- A newborn girl is lucky to be alive after she was left for dead near a fence in Cypress.
That baby was discovered around 7pm yesterday inside a Walmart grocery bag near a fence along Grant and Jones Road.
According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, a woman was walking her dogs near the fence line of apartments there when her dogs alerted her to the child wrapped the plastic bag. Authorities say that woman saved the child's life.
"That is a dead end cul-de-sac. If it had not been for the resident that came out that child may have laid there all night, possibly would have died," said Sgt. Gordon Trott with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
At last check, the infant was in good condition and breathing on her own. Someone had already cleaned her. The umbilical cord was still attached and was clamped off by emergency responders. They bundled her up and took her to Texas Children's Hospital for observation and medical evaluations.
The HCSO Crimes against Children Unit is leading the investigation. They are trying to figure out how she ended up in the street and who left her there.
Authorities think the infant was only left there a short time. Officials say the mother could have dropped her off at a fire station or hospital with no questions asked, but the situation now is quite different. Whoever is responsible could face criminal charges.
Child Protective Services has taken temporary emergency custody of the baby girl while investigators work to try to find her parents.
CPS says it plans to go back out to the apartment complex to interview anyone who may know anything about who the parents might be.
Anyone with information is urged to call HCSO at 713-830-3250 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Lockdown at Kemah Walmart lifted 2 min ago
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive 23 min ago
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 42 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290