Strong storms move through southeast Texas
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Storms moved through the Channel 13 viewing area today and damage is being reported in certain parts of southeast Texas.In the city of Goodrich in Polk County, a barn that survived both Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike was torn down earlier Thursday. Witnesses say it happened just after lunchtime, when the city was getting pounded by high winds, heavy rain and hail.
One neighbor told the barn's owner Marsha Pugh she watched as the barn collapsed by what she thought a tornado. Pugh, who wasn't home at the time, says she considers herself lucky.
"Nobody was hurt and that's the important part," she said.
Pugh the barn was holding a mule that became trapped but luckily, she was was able to save it.
Polk County officials say no other structural damage was reported but several trees were toppled on Windham Ranch Road.
No weather-related injuries have been reported there.
The Houston area dodged the worst of the Thursday storms, but counties to the east of us still face some threats. A Tornado Watch remains in effect until 7pm for Hardin, Tyler, Jasper, Newton, and Orange counties.
If you see damage from today's storms, send a photo or video to email@example.com. But please don't put yourself in harm's way to get the shot.
Take ABC13 weather and radar with you
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston