Homeless man charged with manslaughter
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Charges have been filed against a suspect arrested in a man's death one week ago, Houston police announced Wednesday.
Armando Vasquez-Martinez, 56, is charged with manslaughter for his alleged role in the death of 51-year-old Antonio Salazar.
Salazar's body was discovered just before 10pm February 13 in the 1600 block of Elysian.
According to police, Vasquez-Martinez and Salazar got into an argument outside an abandoned house where the suspect was living. Officials said Vasquez-Martinez may have initially been defending himself, but he's accused of beating Salazar with a baseball bat.
Vasquez-Martinez allegedly chased Salazar into the street and continued beating him with the bats. The suspect then left Salazar lying in the street, police said.
Moments later, a car hit Salazar. He died at the scene.
Police said Vasquez-Martinez was arrested without incident the following day and subsequently charged.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 47 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names 5 min ago
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner 23 min ago
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- David Tillman's weather forecast
31 min ago