Homeless man charged with manslaughter
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Charges have been filed against a suspect arrested in a man's death one week ago, Houston police announced Wednesday.
Armando Vasquez-Martinez, 56, is charged with manslaughter for his alleged role in the death of 51-year-old Antonio Salazar.
Salazar's body was discovered just before 10pm February 13 in the 1600 block of Elysian.
According to police, Vasquez-Martinez and Salazar got into an argument outside an abandoned house where the suspect was living. Officials said Vasquez-Martinez may have initially been defending himself, but he's accused of beating Salazar with a baseball bat.
Vasquez-Martinez allegedly chased Salazar into the street and continued beating him with the bats. The suspect then left Salazar lying in the street, police said.
Moments later, a car hit Salazar. He died at the scene.
Police said Vasquez-Martinez was arrested without incident the following day and subsequently charged.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW 29 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire 52 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to...
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- David Tillman's weather forecast
24 min ago