Homeless man charged with manslaughter
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Charges have been filed against a suspect arrested in a man's death one week ago, Houston police announced Wednesday.
Armando Vasquez-Martinez, 56, is charged with manslaughter for his alleged role in the death of 51-year-old Antonio Salazar.
Salazar's body was discovered just before 10pm February 13 in the 1600 block of Elysian.
According to police, Vasquez-Martinez and Salazar got into an argument outside an abandoned house where the suspect was living. Officials said Vasquez-Martinez may have initially been defending himself, but he's accused of beating Salazar with a baseball bat.
Vasquez-Martinez allegedly chased Salazar into the street and continued beating him with the bats. The suspect then left Salazar lying in the street, police said.
Moments later, a car hit Salazar. He died at the scene.
Police said Vasquez-Martinez was arrested without incident the following day and subsequently charged.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 43 min ago
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Man shot in Bellaire-area parking lot 58 min ago
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Ice and snow frustrate US holiday travel rush 55 min ago
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?