Stranger approaches Little League player in restroom of Bellaire-area park
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Some local Little League organizations are making significant changes in order to protect their players.
Coaches and parents from several Little League groups told us they're concerned. They say warnings about a suspicious man approaching a young player in a ballpark restroom now has them sending out safety alerts.
Parents of some of the players were hit with some shocking news Wednesday. They were issued an alert about a strange man approaching a young ball player in a restroom near Bayland Park's M-3 Little League Field on Bissonnet Tuesday.
Lewis Chandler's son plays with Bellaire Little League. He's one of many parents who got the warning.
"Now we've got to be even more careful every time we go out here," Chandler said.
Several coaches are tell Eyewitness News the alert about the bathroom incident was sent out by Bayland Little League to all coaches across District 17.
They were told the young boy was using the restroom when a strange man left a stall, came behind the child and began watching the boy use the restroom. The boy ran off and reported the incident.
No one was hurt, but it's left several Little League groups changing bathroom procedures for the children's safety.
"Normally we would let the kids go to the restroom with the buddy system. That's not going to happen anymore. Now an adult has to go with them to the restroom," Chandler said.
Coaches said they are making it a priority to reinforce safety procedures with players and parents.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, demond fernandez
- Case of swine flu confirmed in Montgomery County
- City slammed for deal with topless clubs
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon
- Man says found treasure should be his
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Police: Man fatally shoots wife in southeast Houston 22 min ago
- Blood test could offer early answer for kids with austim
- Mystery of the missing mink
- Bicyclist hit by minivan near park
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Family of Houston girl hopes for life-saving donation
- Congress passes bill that will avoid future govt. shutdowns
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- METRO offering new way to get around town
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
12 min ago