Stranger approaches Little League player in restroom of Bellaire-area park
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Some local Little League organizations are making significant changes in order to protect their players.
Coaches and parents from several Little League groups told us they're concerned. They say warnings about a suspicious man approaching a young player in a ballpark restroom now has them sending out safety alerts.
Parents of some of the players were hit with some shocking news Wednesday. They were issued an alert about a strange man approaching a young ball player in a restroom near Bayland Park's M-3 Little League Field on Bissonnet Tuesday.
Lewis Chandler's son plays with Bellaire Little League. He's one of many parents who got the warning.
"Now we've got to be even more careful every time we go out here," Chandler said.
Several coaches are tell Eyewitness News the alert about the bathroom incident was sent out by Bayland Little League to all coaches across District 17.
They were told the young boy was using the restroom when a strange man left a stall, came behind the child and began watching the boy use the restroom. The boy ran off and reported the incident.
No one was hurt, but it's left several Little League groups changing bathroom procedures for the children's safety.
"Normally we would let the kids go to the restroom with the buddy system. That's not going to happen anymore. Now an adult has to go with them to the restroom," Chandler said.
Coaches said they are making it a priority to reinforce safety procedures with players and parents.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, demond fernandez
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 18 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight 45 min ago
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects