Stranger approaches Little League player in restroom of Bellaire-area park
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Some local Little League organizations are making significant changes in order to protect their players.
Coaches and parents from several Little League groups told us they're concerned. They say warnings about a suspicious man approaching a young player in a ballpark restroom now has them sending out safety alerts.
Parents of some of the players were hit with some shocking news Wednesday. They were issued an alert about a strange man approaching a young ball player in a restroom near Bayland Park's M-3 Little League Field on Bissonnet Tuesday.
Lewis Chandler's son plays with Bellaire Little League. He's one of many parents who got the warning.
"Now we've got to be even more careful every time we go out here," Chandler said.
Several coaches are tell Eyewitness News the alert about the bathroom incident was sent out by Bayland Little League to all coaches across District 17.
They were told the young boy was using the restroom when a strange man left a stall, came behind the child and began watching the boy use the restroom. The boy ran off and reported the incident.
No one was hurt, but it's left several Little League groups changing bathroom procedures for the children's safety.
"Normally we would let the kids go to the restroom with the buddy system. That's not going to happen anymore. Now an adult has to go with them to the restroom," Chandler said.
Coaches said they are making it a priority to reinforce safety procedures with players and parents.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, demond fernandez
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- Texans fall to Jags for 11th straight loss
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for northern counties 22 min ago
- New details emerge about bizarre alleged break-in
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County 59 min ago
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota! 28 min ago
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter
- Move over emerald, a new color will take over next year
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- Getting sued for having too many children?
- Strong winter storm threatens to paralyze N. Texas
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos