Student detained in shooting outside Prairie View A&M University
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Prairie View A&M University officials say a gunman remains on the loose following a shooting that took place just outside the university campus Thursday afternoon.
The shooting happened around 4:45pm at the intersection of University Drive and Echols, which is in front of the university's main gate, but just outside of the campus, Prairie View A&M University Spokeswoman Sheleah Reed said.
Eyewitnesses say the shooting followed a brief chase. Bullets struck a nearby church but no one there was hurt.
Police have two people in custody, including a Prairie View student, but we still don't know their connection with the shooting. The shooter fled the scene and was last seen heading toward Highway 290.
The shooting victim, who was not a student, was transported via medical helicopter to Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center, Reed said.
When the shooting first happened, the Waller County Sheriff's Office told Eyewitness News it happened on campus, but university officials quickly issued a clarification.
In a statement, the university said, "There is no imminent danger for students residing on the University main campus or in the nearby area."
Authorities with the Waller County Police Department, Prairie View A&M University and DPS were all on the scene, but we're told the Prairie View Police Department is handling the investigation.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle