West Columbia police chief arrested on drug charges
WEST COLUMBIA, TX (KTRK) -- Right now, the city of West Columbia does not have a police chief on duty.
Chief Michael Palmer is suspended and relieved of all duties due to his arrest on drug possession charges. A nine-count indictment accuses Palmer of possessing several different drugs.
Palmer was arrested Thursday and booked into the Brazoria County Jail in Angleton. Bond is set at $100,000.
Brazoria County District Attorney Jeri Yenne says West Columbia Police Department employees began investigating and reported their suspicions to her office.
Palmer is accused of taking pills and other medications during arrests and hospice death investigations from March 28, 2012, through this Feb. 8. At a special meeting Thursday, the City Council suspended Palmer pending investigation and gave the city manager oversight of the police department.
Jail records didn't list an attorney for Palmer.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations 49 min ago
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands 13 min ago
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 56 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands 58 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress 12 min ago
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- No more ice, but cold weather continues