Intruder fatally shot after allegedly barging into west Harris Co. home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One suspect is dead and two others in custody after a home invasion in west Harris County last night. And now, we're hearing from the mother of the man who used his father's gun to defend his family.
Mara, who asked we not show her face, never slept last night. She and her family are still reeling after the most frightening night of their lives.
"You know, I have an alarm system. And I feel safe here," she said. "I never thought about that, that this will happen to us."
Harris County deputies say just before 9pm, three men rang the doorbell at Mara's home on Brook Garden near Cloudbrook. She says her husband looked through their peephole, saw three young guys and thought they were their son's friends.
"When he opened the door a little bit, the guy points the pistol at his head," said Mara.
Mara was in the kitchen making cakes when the intruders yelled at her, her husband and their 21-year-old son to get on the floor. At least one of them was armed.
"My husband sees that we are in trouble he said, 'Go to the bedroom and get the gun,'" said Mara.
Mara's son retrieved the gun from under his parent's bed. His mom followed him to the back bedroom, but so did one of the intruders.
"And he said, 'I'm not going to hurt you. Lay down!' But he was yelling, screaming, and when he start approaching me closer and closer, my son shot him," she said.
Mara says that's when the other two suspects fled, but they didn't get far. Two neighbors spotted them running down the street, trying to get away in a Ford Explorer.
Those two suspects, whose identities have not yet been released, are charged with aggravated robbery.
Mara says they've never seen those suspects before. The dead intruder hasn't been identified. All we know right now is he was in his 20s. An autopsy on his body is scheduled for today.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 3 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 4 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad 39 min ago
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach 30 min ago
- The storm that wouldn't end 6 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 2013 College bowl schedule
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Travis Herzog's Monday forecast
32 min ago