Driver walks away from bizarre crash onto roof
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The driver of a pickup truck clipped one house before going airborne and smashing into the roof of a second house overnight in northwest Harris County, all while a family was inside.
It happened on Fox Springs at Addicks Satsuma. Deputy constables say the driver lost control on a curve and hit a house. Then the vehicle went airborne and smashed into the roof of a second home.
The truck landed upside down on the roof of the home, trapping the driver inside and leaking fuel into the house.
Precinct 5 deputy constables say this is the first time they have ever seen anything like this and neighbors also couldn't believe their eyes.
"Absolutely once in a lifetime," neighbor Stephen Wilson said of the site. "It's unbelievable."
"I could see that this car had landed in the roof of this house," said neighbor David Beckmeier. "I just really could not believe what I was seeing. It really just kind of freaked me out."
Deputy constables say the driver could have been going between 85 and 90 mph.
"It's just outrageous," neighbor Justin Hopper said. "I've seen bad accidents here, but this is really the worst one I've ever seen."
Though it sounds impossible, the truck's driver walked away from the bizarre wreck with barely a scratch, once firefighters got him out.
"I mean, this guy was bouncing off houses. He ended up on a roof. I don't know how you walk out," said Keith McBride, who operated the crane that lifted the vehicle off the home. That task took longer than 10 hours to complete.
Although people were inside both homes when the vehicle crashed into them, no one inside suffered any injuries.
The driver of that car has not been charged with a crime. Investigators will be looking into whether alcohol was a factor.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Student caught with gun on campus 7 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured...
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 11 min ago
- There's pee in the water -- again! 39 min ago
- Bush's ride for wounded veterans scheduled for May 52 min ago
- Facebook rolls out location-sharing feature 35 min ago