Driver walks away from bizarre crash onto roof
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The driver of a pickup truck clipped one house before going airborne and smashing into the roof of a second house overnight in northwest Harris County, all while a family was inside.
It happened on Fox Springs at Addicks Satsuma. Deputy constables say the driver lost control on a curve and hit a house. Then the vehicle went airborne and smashed into the roof of a second home.
The truck landed upside down on the roof of the home, trapping the driver inside and leaking fuel into the house.
Precinct 5 deputy constables say this is the first time they have ever seen anything like this and neighbors also couldn't believe their eyes.
"Absolutely once in a lifetime," neighbor Stephen Wilson said of the site. "It's unbelievable."
"I could see that this car had landed in the roof of this house," said neighbor David Beckmeier. "I just really could not believe what I was seeing. It really just kind of freaked me out."
Deputy constables say the driver could have been going between 85 and 90 mph.
"It's just outrageous," neighbor Justin Hopper said. "I've seen bad accidents here, but this is really the worst one I've ever seen."
Though it sounds impossible, the truck's driver walked away from the bizarre wreck with barely a scratch, once firefighters got him out.
"I mean, this guy was bouncing off houses. He ended up on a roof. I don't know how you walk out," said Keith McBride, who operated the crane that lifted the vehicle off the home. That task took longer than 10 hours to complete.
Although people were inside both homes when the vehicle crashed into them, no one inside suffered any injuries.
The driver of that car has not been charged with a crime. Investigators will be looking into whether alcohol was a factor.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver killed after slamming into students' SUV 16 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation 12 min ago
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine 34 min ago
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days