Haitian kids in school thanks to help from Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Children in Haiti are going to school thanks to some help from Houston-area volunteers.
As the day unfolds at a school in rural northern Haiti, there are people hundreds of miles away in Houston who are inspired to help build that school and who want to keep it going and growing through the work of the nonprofit Hands for Haiti.
"These children will walk two or three hours a day to come to school," said Cindy Tice, a Hands for Haiti board member.
Tice and Jeff Hynes, both of the Houston area, met by chance. Hynes eventually persuaded Tice to go to Haiti with his family and see the village to which he'd been dedicating his time and resources.
"Little, little, tiny kids under the tarp, sitting on some benches that they'd handmade," Hynes said. "We showed up, they stood up, started singing songs."
Years ago, students were gathering under that tarp with volunteer teachers, the desire to learn and little else.
"In Haiti, school isn't free," Hynes said. "Before the school, they didn't have anything to do all day; they had nothing to occupy their minds."
Today, the village school is in a real building with six classes and an enrollment of more than 200 students through grade 5.
"This school brings many benefits for us," teacher Keppia Pierre said, speaking in French Creole. "There is a lot of unemployment in the area. We don't find work. The assistance of this school has come and we find work to feed our family."
The school is both a mission...
"It's great that we can teach them to read and write, but we want to teach them to be self-sufficient," Hynes said.
And a message...
"The joy that those children have for what little we provide to them is, I think, the most amazing aspect," Tice said.
To learn more about Hands for Haiti and how you can help, visit their website at www.handsforhaiti.com.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, elissa rivas
- Homeowner shoots intruder in NW Harris County
- HISD meet to discuss new budget proposal 47 min ago
- Committee: 'Don't tear down the Astrodome'
- Woman at odds with auto shop after car gets stolen
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Bicyclist hit by SUV in Walmart parking lot in NW Harris Co.
- Uncle: Aaron Hernandez had connection to murder victim 58 min ago
- Four cars go up in flames at apartment complex parking lot 34 min ago
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- Men's restroom visitors find themselves on camera
- Stampede over Beckham injures 5 in Shanghai 57 min ago
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos