Shooting victim behind the wheel crashes into taco stand
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The search is on for suspects and motive behind a man's killing in north Harris County. The victim was found shot to death in the wreckage of a car that crashed into a taco stand Sunday evening.
Investigators have their work cut out for them as they try to figure out who shot the driver who crashed into a taco stand, and why.
Mauro Rodriguez works near the taco stand that a driver plowed into Sunday night. He says his co-workers are frequent customers.
"It's kind of crazy," he said. "This is a road with a lot of traffic. There's lot of kids driving and walking. It's a pretty crowded street. So for something like this to happen, it's dangerous."
Harris County Sheriff's deputies say around 8pm Sunday the driver of an Impala crashed into the side of the mobile taqueria. When officers arrived to investigate the crash they found the driver inside, shot several times.
"It's really getting bad around here," said nearby resident Patsy Smith. "You can't get out anymore. You're scared to get out anymore."
Surveillance video from the gas station across street caught part of the crash. But detectives still don't know where the driver was coming from, where he was headed or why someone would shoot him through his driver-side door.
"I'm concerned for my family, my mom, dad, sisters," said nearby resident Jose Munoz. "I have a big family, so I'm concerned for their safety."
The taco stand was closed at the time of the crash, so there were no employees or customers inside at the time of the crash.
Autopsy is scheduled on the driver. His identity has not been released.
If you have any information that could help deputies solve this murder, you're asked to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, sonia azad
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale