Third grader collapsed during PE class
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A student was rushed to the hospital after collapsing Monday morning at Lee Elementary School in Cy-Fair ISD.
Medical crews were called to the scene when the child collapsed in PE class. It was a scary situation handled by quick-thinking school personnel.
A Cy-Fair ISD spokesperson says the third grade boy collapsed at about 10:10am during his PE class. Apparently, students were running inside the gym.
The child was unresponsive. We're told the teacher and at least one nurse immediately responded, calling 911, beginning CPR and using an automatic external defibrillator which the school has on site. CFISD's spokesperson says they were able to revive the boy.
"The teachers at the school, they always do their best for kids," said substitute teacher Aven Abrahim. "I don't know what happened there so I can't judge anybody, but I can say that I'm sure they tried their best."
Campus administrators sent home a short note to parents about what they termed a "medical emergency" on campus. They said they chose to secure the building for a short period of time as a precautionary measure.
Because of privacy laws we cannot tell you exactly how the little boy is doing. The school district says at last report his heart had been restarted and he was breathing.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- Help the TSU band get to Canton with Michael Strahan