Third grader collapsed during PE class
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A student was rushed to the hospital after collapsing Monday morning at Lee Elementary School in Cy-Fair ISD.
Medical crews were called to the scene when the child collapsed in PE class. It was a scary situation handled by quick-thinking school personnel.
A Cy-Fair ISD spokesperson says the third grade boy collapsed at about 10:10am during his PE class. Apparently, students were running inside the gym.
The child was unresponsive. We're told the teacher and at least one nurse immediately responded, calling 911, beginning CPR and using an automatic external defibrillator which the school has on site. CFISD's spokesperson says they were able to revive the boy.
"The teachers at the school, they always do their best for kids," said substitute teacher Aven Abrahim. "I don't know what happened there so I can't judge anybody, but I can say that I'm sure they tried their best."
Campus administrators sent home a short note to parents about what they termed a "medical emergency" on campus. They said they chose to secure the building for a short period of time as a precautionary measure.
Because of privacy laws we cannot tell you exactly how the little boy is doing. The school district says at last report his heart had been restarted and he was breathing.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- Will the mascots remain the same?
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death 10 min ago
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond 37 min ago
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- Do you know this week's StopHoustonGangs.org fugitive? 36 min ago
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- House approves budget bill; now goes to Senate 53 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter: 'I was hallucinating'
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
16 min ago