School district nixes sale for low-income housing
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A community fights back -- two of three proposed projects in the Deer Park/Pasadena area have been stopped after residents teamed up to say "not in my neighborhood."
It all had to do with low income housing. One would have gone on land currently owned by Deer Park ISD.
It's the oldest tenet of real estate -- location, location, location. And apparently, this wasn't the right one.
Behind a Pasadena subdivision is a large tract of green space, and it was about to sold to an out-of-state developer who was planning to build low-income apartments near the intersection of Space Center Boulevard and Genoa Red Bluff Road. It's all within sight of Carol Eaves' home.
"I didn't like the fact they didn't say anything to the neighbors," she said. "It would take the value of other people's property away, too."
It's within sight of one street where the beginning home price is at least a half million dollars. Some homeowners were starting to get nervous...
Homeowner David Stiles said, "I think it would lower the value of our homes in the long run."
The land is owned by the Deer Park School District, which approved selling the property earlier this month to the developer. As soon as news of the project circulated, opposition grew. Monday, the school board voted to cancel the contract.
"We work for these people," said Deer Park ISD spokesperson Matt Lucas. "The school board -- they're elected representatives of these communities, and of course they're going to be responsive to the concerns."
A similar proposal was withdrawn in Pasadena, but one is still pending. It would also be low income apartment housing.
The Pasadena school district has formally opposed the project because the two elementary schools in the area are already at capacity and unable to take in a large number of students.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
deer park, pasadena, local, deborah wrigley
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home