Largest offshore oil platform ever leaves our area, heads to new home in Gulf of Mexico
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The largest offshore oil platform ever has left our area and is headed to its new home in the Gulf of Mexico.
SkyEye 13 HD flew over the Olympus platform as it cleared the Fred Hartmann Bridge earlier Wednesday. Lone Star Energy Fabrication built the drilling platform in Baytown for Shell.
The 300-foot high platform can drill 24 wells from one location, and is designed to operate for the next 50 years.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident