Child taken during carjacking in southeast Houston dropped off at nearby store
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Detectives say a five-year-old boy was temporarily taken during a carjacking in southeast Houston.
It happened as the boy's parents were filling up water bottles at the Foodarama in the 10000 block of Fuqua. Police say the couple had left their young son in a white Silverado pickup truck just outside the door of the store. The parents said only a couple of minutes had gone by before they walked back outside and realized their truck had been stolen with their five-year-old son still inside.
Apparently, the suspect quickly realized the boy was inside the truck and dropped him off at a Walgreens in the same shopping center and took off. The boy walked inside the store and employees called 911.
Police arrived on scene and found out the boy had been involved in the carjacking. He was then reunited with his parents.
We're told the boy was missing for about 10 minutes but he is expected to be OK.
A search is ongoing for the carjacking suspect.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Know the guy in this surveillance video? 51 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 13 min ago
- IAH passengers struggle to reach destinations 45 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- More cold air moves in; sunshine returns tomorrow
- Video: Amazing video from N. Texas after winter...
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- Good idea or bad? Baby bouncy chair with attached iPad