Child taken during carjacking in southeast Houston dropped off at nearby store
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Detectives say a five-year-old boy was temporarily taken during a carjacking in southeast Houston.
It happened as the boy's parents were filling up water bottles at the Foodarama in the 10000 block of Fuqua. Police say the couple had left their young son in a white Silverado pickup truck just outside the door of the store. The parents said only a couple of minutes had gone by before they walked back outside and realized their truck had been stolen with their five-year-old son still inside.
Apparently, the suspect quickly realized the boy was inside the truck and dropped him off at a Walgreens in the same shopping center and took off. The boy walked inside the store and employees called 911.
Police arrived on scene and found out the boy had been involved in the carjacking. He was then reunited with his parents.
We're told the boy was missing for about 10 minutes but he is expected to be OK.
A search is ongoing for the carjacking suspect.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 51 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school 41 min ago
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations 56 min ago
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston