Officers work to corral drunk drivers during rodeo month
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- As the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo kicks into high gear, the Houston Police Department is launching a safety initiative designed to crackdown on drunk drivers.
Law enforcement officials say they're facing a major problem. Harris County is number one in the nation when it comes to alcohol related crashes and this is the time of year when they see some of the most incidents of drunk driving.
That's why Houston police, the Harris County Sheriff's Office and Texas Highway Patrol just announced plans to step up patrols during the month of March. They will have more officers on the street, especially in the area of the Houston rodeo.
They will also have officers at the actual rodeo, making sure people aren't being over-served or getting into their vehicles drunk. The third step they're taking is that every weekend in the month of March will be a no-refusal weekend.
According to police, last year there were nine drunken driving deaths just in the month of March in Harris County.
HPD Capt. Larry Baimbridge said, "A lot of times officers will stop individuals and write a warning. Well, we're going to give a warning this year and this is it. Don't drink and drive."
A reminder from police -- you could face up to $10,000 in fines and court fees if you get caught drunk driving.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston livestock show and rodeo, local, pooja lodhia
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 48 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes 18 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead 40 min ago
- More Houstonians using METRO system 12 min ago
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room 17 min ago
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on Facebook 21 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
44 min ago
- Learning doesn't stop at Houston Rodeo
59 min ago