Officers work to corral drunk drivers during rodeo month
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- As the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo kicks into high gear, the Houston Police Department is launching a safety initiative designed to crackdown on drunk drivers.
Law enforcement officials say they're facing a major problem. Harris County is number one in the nation when it comes to alcohol related crashes and this is the time of year when they see some of the most incidents of drunk driving.
That's why Houston police, the Harris County Sheriff's Office and Texas Highway Patrol just announced plans to step up patrols during the month of March. They will have more officers on the street, especially in the area of the Houston rodeo.
They will also have officers at the actual rodeo, making sure people aren't being over-served or getting into their vehicles drunk. The third step they're taking is that every weekend in the month of March will be a no-refusal weekend.
According to police, last year there were nine drunken driving deaths just in the month of March in Harris County.
HPD Capt. Larry Baimbridge said, "A lot of times officers will stop individuals and write a warning. Well, we're going to give a warning this year and this is it. Don't drink and drive."
A reminder from police -- you could face up to $10,000 in fines and court fees if you get caught drunk driving.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston livestock show and rodeo, local, pooja lodhia
- Severe weather possible this morning
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 38 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension 14 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business 49 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 30 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston 28 min ago
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested 31 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking 37 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- METRO hosting North Line grand opening party
45 min ago
- ISS spacewalk: What are they doing up there?
32 min ago