Officers work to corral drunk drivers during rodeo month
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- As the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo kicks into high gear, the Houston Police Department is launching a safety initiative designed to crackdown on drunk drivers.
Law enforcement officials say they're facing a major problem. Harris County is number one in the nation when it comes to alcohol related crashes and this is the time of year when they see some of the most incidents of drunk driving.
That's why Houston police, the Harris County Sheriff's Office and Texas Highway Patrol just announced plans to step up patrols during the month of March. They will have more officers on the street, especially in the area of the Houston rodeo.
They will also have officers at the actual rodeo, making sure people aren't being over-served or getting into their vehicles drunk. The third step they're taking is that every weekend in the month of March will be a no-refusal weekend.
According to police, last year there were nine drunken driving deaths just in the month of March in Harris County.
HPD Capt. Larry Baimbridge said, "A lot of times officers will stop individuals and write a warning. Well, we're going to give a warning this year and this is it. Don't drink and drive."
A reminder from police -- you could face up to $10,000 in fines and court fees if you get caught drunk driving.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston livestock show and rodeo, local, pooja lodhia
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security 45 min ago
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- John Paul's legacy stained by sex abuse scandal 19 min ago
- Video: Preparing for canonization of Popes John...
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 24 min ago
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20 1 min ago
- Sleeping girl killed after car drives into home
- Police: Man pelted woman at egg decorating party