Car burglaries reported at private lots near Houston Rodeo
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We have a warning for folks heading out to the the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Before you park just anywhere, you may want to take a second look at your surroundings. Thieves are apparently using the rodeo as a opportunity to break into vehicles.
One Eyewitness News viewer told us when she was directed to park in one lot, she thought it would be safe. But when she got back to her car, she says she noticed thieves had ripped her off.
Shavonda Bush, of Humble, says it started off as a family fun night to the rodeo. But when she got back to her car Wednesday night, something was terribly wrong.
"When I came, I didn't notice that the window was broke, but it looks like they came or picked the lock right here to get inside the car," Bush told us.
She says some unknown thieves ransacked her car and other vehicles in this parking lot at South Bartell and Hearth.
"When I came and got to the car, I noticed that the radio and everything was all pulled out here. This was missing, pretty much the vents are broken," said Bush.
Her new custom radio was gone. She says other victims claimed their radios were stolen, too.
"Very frustrating because I just got this radio four days ago; so it's upsetting very much," Bush said.
The parking lot is about a mile and a half away from Reliant Park. Bush says she paid an attendant $10 for parking, hopped on a shuttle bus to the rodeo, and thought the car would be secure all night.
"The police officers were out there directing us to park in certain parking lots, and pretty much when I seen the police officers out there, I didn't think anything would happen," she said.
Houston police say this type of crime isn't uncommon.
"They can happen, especially at large events such as a rodeo," said Houston Police Officer J. F. Sanchez.
Officer Sanchez advises families parking at or around the rodeo take a few steps for safety.
"We try to ask them not to leave any packages, purses, bags, anything that's visible in the car, that would give someone the desire to break into their car," Officer Sanchez said.
We are still working to identify the parking company that rents out the space.
Bush filed a police report, and says she's now stuck replacing her radio and the damage the unknown thieves caused to the console and dashboard of her car.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, demond fernandez
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos