Large grass fire in SE Houston now under control, say firefighters
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A large grass fire burned on Houston's southeast side Thursday afternoon and a shelter in place was issued for one nearby neighborhodd, but Houston firefighters say they now have the blaze under control.
The Houston Fire Department says the fire is not out, but firefighters don't expect it to be a threat any longer to anyone or anything.
SkyEye 13 HD shot footage of the flames at around 2pm Thursday. In all, HFD says about 12 acres have burned along Hall Road near Kingspoint, in the area right between Dobie High School and the Clear Brook Meadows neighborhood. Authorities issued a shelter in place for that neighborhood just as a precaution, but that order was canceled shortly before 5pm.
One thing working to the firefighters' advantage is a bayou between the fire and the neighborhood. HFD says it acts as a natural fire break and kept the fire from jumping to the homes.
Thankfully the winds that earlier helped whip the flames up, have now died down some.
"You see a lot of unburned dead brush. It could have all caught fire and threatened those homes. It could have been worse," said HFD Deputy Chief Terry Stone.
By 4:20pm, they say the fire had been brought under control.
Dobie High was never directly threatened. There's a large green space where the school's athletic fields exist between the campus and the blaze.
Another thing that helped fire crews some is the recent rains, which led to some new vegetation that doesn't burn as quickly as something that might be dried out.
The flip side of that is that the ground is still a bit wet and at one point they had to rescue a couple of fire trucks that had become stuck in the mud.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest on this story.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
local, kevin quinn
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat