Several kids transported to hospital after wreck near elementary school
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman is facing charges after slamming her car into the back of a van filled with students in front of an elementary school in northwest Houston.
The crash sent 11 students to the hospital, but authorities say the kids suffered non-life threatening injuries.
Officers say the driver, Sonia Noemi Martinez, appears to have been speeding through a school zone, which is clearly marked. Worse than that, they say it looks like alcohol likely played a part.
Police say Martinez wasn't paying attention or didn't see the van full of kids in front of her. Her silver Toyota RAV4 slammed into the back of the van in the 1400 block of West 43rd Street, right in front of Oak Forest Elementary School.
"She also admitted to a fireman that she'd had too much to drink. So we had the accident investigators out here and she's been transported to the DWI intox," said HPD Officer Ricky Pedraza.
The kids, most of them 4- and 5-year-olds, were on the way to pre-school. The van was bound for the Eagle Achievers Academy.
"They're coming from a day care, going to school," said an employee of the pre-school. "It's supposed to be 13, but there it's 11 on that, but they're OK."
Police say the kids went to the hospital to get checked out, but none of them were seriously injured, mostly bumps and bruises.
"With all the sirens and police and engines showing up, they were kind of shaken up. You know, we had a couple holding their face, one was holding their eye, I guess where they hit the side of the window," Officer Pedraza said.
It was a scary morning for students and their parents. Martinez was taken into custody.
"I mean, thank God she wasn't going any faster," said Officer Pedraza.
Martinez injured in the crash. Charges against her are pending.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Sheriff: Colorado school shooter dead 8 min ago
- Woman found dead inside burned out home
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus
- Three Webster officers accused of using excessive force
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Man accused of plotting to detonate bomb at Wichita airport 44 min ago
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch
- Fugitive Friday: Help find suspect in sexual assault of child
- Swimmer nabs monster lobster with bare hands
- Astronaut may get Christmas wish for spacewalk
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Sales brisk for tonight's $425M Mega Millions game
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos